Growing Neural Gas
- By checking freezeStructure the current network topology becomes frozen (indicated by blue edges) i.e. no more additions or removals of nodes and edges take place. In particular for non-stationary distributions or after changing distributions one can see how a fixed structure is not so well suited to represent the data.
- When showError is checked, the accumulated square error of each unit is displayed as a red circle of proportional radius.
- When showUtility is checked, the accumulated Utility of each unit is displayed as a blue circle of proportional radius.
- If neither of the two above boxes is checked each unit is represented by a circle of equal radius.
- The parameter numfac changes the size of the error and utility circles which can vary with network size and parameter settings.
- By setting n1_max to a small value one can limit the growth in one dimension and force the network to develop along the other one leading to long rectangles or (for n1_max=1) to one-dimensional chains